February 24, 2011
Posted by on
About this time one week ago, my deputy director sent me a link to some rather cool looking software with the unlikely name of Big Blue Button. I took a look and was impressed with how simple everything seemed to be. So much so that I downloaded a pre-built virtual machine and set it up with VMware Player so that I could have a play. So far, so good.
Then my deputy director asked if I could set up a demo server for some of our other teams to look at and get a feel for. I had a look at the prerequisites on the install page and got to work – and that’s where the trouble began… The system is set up on a base of Ubuntu 10.04 (no more, no less) either 32bit or 64bit and the packages that are available assume that’s what you have.
It took me and one of the systems team guys about a day to realise that, although Ubuntu 10.04 32bit is officially supported in VMware ESX 4, it doesn’t actually work. There are problems getting the virtual network interface card to be recognized by 32bit Ubuntu so we switched to 64bit. That works better – the interface card is at least recognized and allows connections to and from the world at large (i.e. the interwebs) but has to be manually configured for our environment. No real big deal, though. Except… After running through the first few steps of the instructions, each time I try to install either Asterisk or FreeSWITCH I get unresolvable dependency errors. Ugh! Ok, so if my packages are out of date, maybe I should try the newer (unsupported) version 10.10. An hour or three later and I’m staring down the same error message about not having the correct version of libc6-i386. And of course, the easy fix of just using a 32bit version is still not doable.
So, some days later after much messing around and installing, booting live DVDs, re-installing and generally running around like a puppy chasing it’s own tail I end up looking at a brand-new, fresh install of Linux Mint 10 which is based on Ubuntu. I’ve used Mint in the past because, although Ubuntu is nice, it’s starting to look and act a bit odd and Mint is (mostly) compatible with Ubuntu so a lot of DEB packages work as expected as does a lot of the advice found through Google on fixing things. Plus I was getting desperate!
I work my way through the instructions – FreeSWITCH doesn’t seem to want to install on Mint but Asterisk is accommodating. Then the big piece – installing the BBB package… I type out the command to run the install and wait. Success!! The package installs (with a minor gripe about not finding something to do with Asterisk) and when I go to a browser – deep joy.
I still don’t understand why this wouldn’t install on the only OS it’s officially supported on. Maybe it is a 32bit/64bit thing. All I know is I’m glad I found a workaround.